Tuesday 12 May 2015

Lava Lamp bath bomb review: "I couldn't stop touching myself!"

Anything with an attractive and captivating design, created by Lush, is always guaranteed to be an amazing product.  However, the majority of these products always tend to have a little issue.  Lava Lamp (£3.35) is one of the new bath bombs currently exclusive to the Oxford Street flagship store but has also featured in the Kitchen.  I finally got around to using this bright ball and well, it's certainly entertaining.  It's bright orange and purple polka dot exterior takes the mind and body back in time to the 60s to get groovy.


Lava Lamp has a very similar fragrance to Brightside bubble bar but it's more fresh.  Lava Lamp is like freshly peeled oranges making this really refreshing, uplifting but also really comforting.  To sum this up: in the bath it smells like warm orange juice which surprisingly smells delightful.  The bath water turns an incredible colour like Sunkist or Irn Bru drinks, and on top of this, there really is little pools of purple oil (just look below).  The purple orbs are melted cocoa butter and these pieces of cocoa butter are actually shaped like upside down Hershey's Kisses indented/compounded into the bath bomb.  And if you gather the melted cocoa butter into the hand, and you can rub it into your skin just as you would a lotion.  It kind of feels like a body butter when you do this.


And here comes the horror story most of us that have used this bath bomb have experienced.  Lava Lamp is definitely a mess in the tub.  You thought Golden Egg was bad?  Honey, it ain't got nothin' on this!  Quite literally, as soon as I dropped this baby into the bath and it started fizzing and melting, the purple pools of oils were immediately attracted to the sides of the bath.  There was a massive purple ring all around my bath and if I'm honest - this partly ruined my bathing experience.  I spent my entire bath trying to rub the edge of the bath to stop the oils sticking to it.  Eventually, I came to the conclusion that it was unavoidable and nothing I did would stop the oil sticking to the bath.


The next horror story is the purple cocoa butter also sticks to the skin.  Yes 100% Lava Lamp leaves a purple skin on top of the skin.  When I walked out the bathroom and someone saw me they actually screamed.  Therefore, I definitely wouldn't recommend this as a bath bomb to use when you're going out.  Don't worry though - it comes away quite easy when you towel yourself.  Although I'd recommend you use a darker towel just in the off chance it would stain a lighter one.  It also comes off the bath too when you give it a good clean.  But other than that, this is pretty much one of the best bath bombs I've ever used by Lush.

Lava Lamp is the most moisturising bath bomb I've ever had the pleasure of using - even more moisturising than Butterball.  In the bathtub I could feel how greasy my body was becoming and I was a little panicky it was going to be too greasy for my tolerance.  Though you're quick to forget about the greasy feeling when you're freaking out about the purple ring.  For a while after the bath my skin was super greasy but if I'm honest this didn't really bother me.  As an eczema sufferer and so on, I've spent years being smothered in emollients, creams and other potions, so this had nothing on that.  I only mention how greasy it was in case there are people who don't like how greasy Butterball bath bomb is.  And if you don't like that, you certainly won't like this.  



Nonetheless, about two hours after using the bath bomb the cocoa butter began to sink into my skin.  And the next day my skin was super soft and silky.  I couldn't stop touching myself!  My skin was in brilliant condition all down to Lava Lamp.  It is from that result I recommend this for anyone wanting a good skin conditioning bath product.  But in saying that please, please, please remember this does create a little mess.  It's a really cool and fun bath bomb but cleaning the mess afterwards could ruin the good time you've just had.  That is why I'd probably only use this once every two weeks.  Whilst it is a mess, not all the bath bombs Lush offer are conditioning for the skin and some aren't fragranced to my fancy, so Lava Lamp is a gold winner to me.  And I don't really mind looking like Violet Beauregarde.    I'm so, so happy I picked two up when the Kitchen made them but a little bummed I didn't get more than two, since this is without a doubt in my top 3 favourite bath bombs Lush have ever made.  It's cheerful and fresh fragrance lets all your current worries float away and you're left with a mesmerising bath that treats you good.



Thanks for reading!
Instagram: @lushvoyage


Photos of Lava Lamp:


















Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Perfume, Cupuacu Butter, Water, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Orange Flower Absolute, Tangerine Oil, Sicilian Mandarin Oil, *Limonene, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides & PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Colour 19140, Colour 60725

No comments:

Post a Comment