Sunday 10 May 2015

Salted Coconut hand scrub: "This is Brilliant"

Co-co-nuts! Go-go-nuts! It's Salted Coconut!

As a massive lover of the coconut fragrance and begging Lush to make a shower product holding the same or a similar fragrance of Curly Wurly, I was thrilled to learn of not one, not two but three coconut products! (Yuzu and Cocoa and Coconut Scrubby).  I opted for Salted Coconut since I like body scrubs and albeit this is labelled as a 'hand scrub' I couldn't help but think... Naaaaah.  I'll get it and use it as a body scrub.

The first thing to surprise me was Salted Coconut's fragrance.  I expected this to smell like a sea salted coconut product or something similar to sea salted caramel soap.  No there isn't any caramel in this, but I thought the caramel would be replaced with coconut and the outcome would be Salted Coconut.  However, this has a really earthy coconut fragrance.  But to cut the mystery down for people, the pot states this has the fragrance of Furze perfume.  
And in case you're like me and have never smelt Furze, imagine Curly Wurly with an earthy note or Kerbside Violet perfume with a coconuty bang.

The second surprise was the actual structure of the scrub.  I expected this to be like Rub, Rub, Rub but it couldn't be any more different.  Salted Coconut doesn't have the same consistency regarding the salt and liquid part.  In Rub, Rub, Rub there is an abundance of salt with a kind of shower gel.  When you spread this across your skin it's more like an oil and doesn't lather whatsoever.  The salt is sand like and there isn't so much of it that really makes this a 'scrub'.

In saying that, the lack of scrub properties is made up for in other ways.  The next thing I didn't expect was how moisturising this was.  Salted Coconut leaves a coat of moisture on the skin giving a lovely silky and soft finish. 

When reading the ingredients and know more about them it really should come as no surprise why this is so moisturising.  The two things that really stood out to me was the Japan Wax and Cupuacu Butter.  Japan Wax and Cupuacu Butter are emollients and are great for providing moisture to the skin.  Argan oil also stands out because of it's popular use in skin and hair conditioning products.  So considering this, there is no denying how nourishing and skin friendly Salted Coconut is.  And if you try this out yourself you'll see what I mean.



The fragrance left on the skin is much lighter than the fragrance from the pot since it isn't as in your face.  It settles on the skin and lingers for as long as 4 hours.  I like the creamy earthy coconut smell on the skin but I'll admit I was scared I wouldn't like this at all.  When I first smelt Salted Coconut I really liked it.  And then after I kept smelling it and found it to be a little overpowering.  I was trying to keep Salted Coconut until June but I realised I was going to have to use it sooner rather than later, or I was never going to use it because I'd convince myself I hated it.

The only things I don't like about this product is how water-thin it is.  Salted Coconut is really, really, reaaaaally runny.  It's not as thick as shower gels and it isn't as water-thin like So White, but I'd be really anxious if I knocked this over because I wouldn't need to look to know I'd lose some if not most of it to the drain. 

Salted Coconut isn't the scrub I imagined it to be but maybe that's because it isn't a body scrub.  This is a hand scrub and I can already tell this will be magic partnered up with Golden Handshake hand mask.  It will take your hands to pamperdise heaven.  I tend to take my hands for granted since they never really act up by cracking or suffer serve dryness.  However, my mum on the other hand is in desperate need of major TLC for her hands.  I persuaded her to try this out with me to see how it benefits someone with skin problems relating to their hands.  Below is a direct description of how she felt after using Salted Coconut:

"Well I definitely feel as though a skin has been put over them.  That's [the rough and flakey feeling] kind of gone if you know what I mean.  I feel as though my hands have gone all soft.  It's totally different.  Around the quicks it's totally brilliant.  So brilliant.  The dryness is gone from the edge of my fingers, the roughness that catches and tears things like my tights.  They feel so good and soft.  I'm really impressed. When do I use it again?"

Together my mum and I had a pamper night where I massaged her hands with Salted Coconut.  This leaves hands so conditioned, moisturised and soft even a hand cream isn't desperately needed.  My mum (a person who's struggled with cracked skin on her hands throughout life) recommends this to people with a similar condition.  She felt the sand-like salt wasn't harsh because of how small the granules were.

All in all Lush have created a product I'm rather impressed with.  I have to give credit where it's due - this isn't what I expected at all.  It isn't impossible to use this as a body scrub but do not think it's like Ocean Salt and Rub, Rub, Rub.  It's more like a gritty water-thin body conditioner.  It's purpose as a hand scrub is 100% effective and I'd suggest people to use it for what it is and not for what they'd love it to be.  I wouldn't purchase this again solely as a shower product because it's design isn't practical for the shower.

As a hand scrub, I think this is bloody brilliant for hand treatments and I cannot stress this enough.  It was excellent to see my mum chirpy and to be thrilled something helped her hands.  Actually, I'm feeling really thankful because of this.  Not only has it helped her it's brought us together, as Lush tends to do.  Salted Coconut is a great creation and I have no doubt will be a popular product among Lushies.



Thanks for reading! 

Instagram: @lushvoyage




Ingredients: Fine Sea Salt, Glycerine, Fresh Lemon Infusion, Organic Silken Tofu, Japan Wax, Argan Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Perfume, Neroli Oil,
Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, *Geraniol, *Famesol, *Limonene, *Linalool

*Occurs naturally in essential oils.


More photos of Salted Coconut:











5 comments:

  1. This is a great review but do you know how much it is please? Cannot find the answer anywhere!

    Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellie! I believe the smallest pot is £7.50 and the biggest pot is £13.50 - sorry for my belated response! x

      Delete
  2. hey! thank you for a great review - I bougt this product and must say it wasn't nearly as runny as you describe it or as what I can see in the fotos. I've turned the pot upside down and the scrub didn't spill - it was just as thick as the Cup of coffee for example.
    Personally I even prefer it this way - by adding water I can regulate how intense the scrub would be.
    Got some great user feedback from your review, and I really appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete