Thursday 21 May 2015

Calacas shower gel review: "It's magical and creepy!"

I think many of us Lushies from time to time (not at all every week...) have the dilemma of deciding what our favourite Lush shower gel is.  Is it Snow Fairy? Is it Twilight? Or maybe even Rose Jam?  I think we're all a little guilty of loving almost every single one.  

One of Lush's shower gels that are high on my list is Calacas.  I got a bottle of Calacas the first time it ever came up in the kitchen because everyone else got it.  Yes I do admit, I bought this because everyone else did.  I want to blame it on peer pressure and lack of self control but maybe it was a higher calling.  Why? Because I'm certain Calacas is my favourite shower gel by the Lush Kitchen.  And I picked up two more when it recently featured online.

On one hand Calacas has a really indescribable fragrance because it's just so strange.  But it's clear this is a sweet citrus scented gel.  The Lush Community like to compare Calacas' fragrance to gummy bears and whilst this is a very good comparison, I think Calacas to be much sweeter.  Think of gummy bears, pear drops, tooty frooties, fruit pastilles all together and then you've got Calacas in one.  Basically, it's candied fruit.  Something else to bare in mind I've found Calacas to be like Back for Breakfast shower gel but much, much sweeter.  Other than that description there aren't many other products I can compare this to as it's fragrance is a one of a kind creation by Lush.

Arguably the most fascinating quality Calacas possesses is it changes colour! One minute it's orange, next it's green and then suddenly becomes yellow.  It's magical and creepy!  Anyone who searches Calacas on Instagram will see loads of posts of Calacas being different colours which is absolutely brilliant.  That's the novelty of Calacas.  It may also be seen in a different from too - Calacas was first released as a green skull shower jelly in Lush's halloween seasonal line up.

Containing Lime oil and Neroli oil to perk up our moods along with toning and protecting our skin, Olibanum oil adds a protective film over the skin which softens the skin.  And Aloe Vera Gel gives a protective and soothing quality to the gel making it perfect for sunburn or redness from the cold.  And I also praise how soft my skin is because of Calacas and how gentle it is on my eczema too.
  

I find using Calacas always enjoyable since it isn't harsh on my skin and also leaves it smelling yummy since the delectable fragrance of fruit candies lingers on the skin for hours.  As well, the gel is a little thicker than most gels which I suspect is because of the Aloe Vera but it lathers and glides over the skin effortlessly.  Afterward, my skin is left smelling edible, very soft and in good condition.  This is one of the only gels by Lush I've found effective for redness from the cold.  And whilst the UK doesn't get a lot of blistering heat where I'll fry - I'd definitely use this if I got burnt since it is really good in cooling me down.

A shower gel inspired by the Mexican holiday Dia de Muertos (Day of the Dead), and presumably named (and designed shower jelly) after the Calaca skull,  Calacas captures an awakening, phenomenal and memorable fragrance.  It really is no surprise Calacas is a sweet candy fragrance since sugar in the form of sugar skulls, sugar coffins and other sugar treats are a massive part in the celebrations.  Lushies across the world can honour this sweet Mexican festivity with a sweet shower gel.   There isn't anything else like this by Lush which makes me cherish the gel even more, and I cannot recommend this enough to anyone reading - it is the best shower gel the kitchen has to offer.

Top Tip - If you combine Red and Green FUN you'll create the Calacas scent! I do believe you need to use more Green than Red.




Thanks for reading!
Instagram: @lushvoyage

Extra photos:



























Ingredients: water (aqua), Aloe Vera Gel, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Lauryl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Lime Oil, Olibanum Oil, Neroli Oil, Lactic Acid, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Colour 45410, Colour 45350, Methylparaben, Propylparaben
*Occurs naturally in essential oils

Suitable for Vegans

3 comments:

  1. I would love a bottle of Calacas!! Just got a sample and I'm addicted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! Calacas is definitely a Lush treasure you'll need to pick up a bottle for sure when it pops up in the kitchen again! It's really great. What is your favourite kitchen shower gel?

      Delete