Saturday 9 May 2015

Avoshower shower gel review: "I'm not so fond"

For an entire year tonnes of Lushies repeatedly called upon the Lush Kitchen to make the highly sought after Avowash shower gel.  The shower gel that is released in American stores for special store anniversaries.  It's a rare product and is one you'll often find fallen victim to the leaches of eBay.  Approaching the Kitchen's first anniversary many of us hoped and willed for the Kitchen to surprise us with Avowash.  It didn't happen.  It happened the week after their anniversary, the devils.

Avoshower is supposed to be the adaption of Avobath bath bomb which is... questionable.  For some reason Avoshower smells more like Lush's Stepping Stone foot scrub more than Avobath.  Nonetheless Avoshower has a really invigorating and stimulating fragrance and is the perfect shower gel for a morning shower.  It gives off the same kind of feeling peppermint or spearmint give, that really awakening feeling.

Also, I've read a couple of comments from American Lushies who got their hands on a bottle of Avoshower saying this is indeed different to Avowash.  Learning they do smell different is a little disappointing since Avobath is my favourite bath bomb and as I wrote above, Avoshower isn't exactly identical to the bath bomb when that's what we were expecting and wanting.  

The addition of avocado oil is supposed to give Avshower a really nourishing and hydrating quality since it has vitamins A,B,C and E and a bunch of other great parts.  And avocado oil is actually believed to help the healing of scars too.  The present Rosewood Oil gives antiseptic and balancing benefits too.  Combine these oils with Lemongrass Infusion and citrus oils Avoshower gets it's really interesting fragrance. 

The main thing I love about the bath bomb is how moisturising and conditioning it is with an excellent refreshing fragrance.  And I don't feel Avoshower is a true adaption of this.  When I use this shower gel it doesn't moisturises my skin - I actually feel it dries my skin out which is saddening.  It does soften the skin as most shower gels do, but there is a roughness to my skin because it's dry skin.  No other shower gel by Lush's full year line up or Kitchen production has left my skin like this.  The best way to explain this to you guys is imagine using your facial cleanser but never applying your moisturiser.  I've washed my face for days on end before and never applied moisturiser.  The outcome? Really dried up skin and flakiness.

Whilst it lathers well and has a nice creamy look it isn't as good as it appears to be.  I think that adds to the disappointment if I'm honest.  This really does look creamy and would actually pass as a shower cream.  But it isn't.
I'd recommend this shower gel to anyone who is really fond of the Stepping Stone fragrance.  But please don't solely base a purchase on Avoshower thinking it smells like Avobath because it doesn't really.  I don't know if it's because it's got a lack of Lemongrass or a little more, lack of other ingredients like extra virgin olive oil or maybe it's the avocado oil in the shower gel when it's fresh avocado in the bath bomb.  They just aren't identical to each other.  It's fragrance is lovely and very uplifting and invigorating nonetheless.

I wished on the Lush star for an entire year and my wish eventually came true.  The kitchen did cook Avowash but I do have to say it wasn't what I expected - and sadly in a bad way.  When you first smell products by Lush you can fall madly in love with them and then two weeks later you can hate them.  It can also be the opposite where you hate them and then love them.  For me I loved this and now I'm not so fond.  With a lack of moisturising qualities, the only positive quality this has is a pleasant fragrance and an alluring colour.  Admittedly the only reason I would buy this shower gel again is if I didn't have my collection of gels.  I would buy it for it's fragrance but I wouldn't rush to do this if there was a better offer.  It isn't a really bad shower gel but it isn't really great either.  Avoshower definitely doesn't agree with my skin - drying it out isn't really good for an eczema sufferer.  Instead I'd recommend Back for Breakfast or Calacas citrus and sweet Kitchen gels.  
Don't make a sequel if you can't out due the original, as Kevin Williamson told me.  The same motto goes for Don't make an adaption if it isn't truly an adaption.  That's how I feel about this shower gel.  It's like having an idol (Avobath) and then you meet said idol (Avoshower) and it's utterly disappointing.  But maybe one day I'll get my hands on the true Avowash.





Thanks for reading!
Instagram: @lushvoyage










Ingredients: Lemongrass Infusion, Water, Bergamot Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Rosewood Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Gardenia Extract, Frosty Green Glitter, Methylparaben, Propylparaben
*Occurs naturally in essential oils
Suitable for Vegans.

No comments:

Post a Comment