Monday 30 March 2015

Curly Wurly shampoo review: "For it's scent alone this is a winner"

Curly Wurly (£10.25/220g) was one of those impulse buys from Lush.  I don't really have curly hair and I don't really need a moisturising hair shampoo either.  But yes, I bought Curly Wurly nonetheless.  I was actually going to buy Big shampoo but that didn't happen - until next time.

On the pot, it explains Mark Constanine gets really "cross" when companies make a coconut shampoo but don't actually have real coconut in them.  So Mark was inspired to do the complete opposite with his coconut shampoo and has put a hell of a lot of coconut in it.  You can actually see, feel and smell the true coconut inside this shampoo.

This is a really personal product to me even though it probably isn't the best shampoo Lush can offer my hair type. Curly Wurly doesn't just leave a fragrance I like for my hair but a smell of a personal memory.  Every summer when I was a child, my family and I travelled to America where I would be at the pool everyday for two weeks.  I'm not kidding it was hours on end... 9am to 5pm everyday.  At the pool side there were certain things I smelt, just like at the seaside.  At the pool, I would smell chlorine, palm trees, hot air and coconut.  The fans around the hotel blew these scents in my face as well.  Curly Wurly delivers such a personal memory and experience of these fragrances that I've not experienced in years.  I swear I even smell chlorine in Curly Wurly but that obviously isn't possible when it isn't in it.
The coconut oil, vetivert oil and vanilla infusion come together to make a holiday destination, a really beautiful and sweet scented product.   For it's scent alone this is a winner.


Not only does the product smell a-freakin-mazing its pretty amazing itself.  It is a really moisturising product with all of the butters, oils and fruit.  Curly Wurly contains Papayas and Avocado butter - have I ever wrote before I LOVE both of these ingredients?  Avocado anything will receive my unconditional love.  Both of these fruits add nourishment and betterment to the state of hair.  Curly Wurly also contains eggs so unfortunately it isn't a vegan product for any vegans out there.  That kind of makes me sad that you'll miss out on this experience but then again it is personal, no one else may feel the way I feel about Curly Wurly.  But the eggs provide a conditioning and strengthening element to the product that will benefit hair, and lemon Juice provides a good clean by refreshing the hair.

Although Curly Wurly isn't a skin care product but rather a hair care product, I had it tested on my arm in my Lush store and it felt incredible.  It was super soft and gentle - which surprised me with the desiccated coconut.  It was also really thick and spread like a paste before water got involved.  It also felt really creamy and bursting with goodness.

The first time I used this in my hair I was a little apprehensive.  It was so thick and sticky I didn't know how it was going to lather, and I also felt nervous in case it wouldn't come out my hair! But, as usual, Lush products aren't to be underestimated or misjudged.  To be fair, Curly Wurly didn't lather as quickly as shampoo bars do (HIWMH being an example).  It took more than a couple of palms to bring its lather out but overall it's alright.  The shampoo made a thick white lather that felt really juicy and fluffy, full of goodness and being palmed into my head.  However, as I've wrote, it's lather is a little weak compared to Lush's shampoo bar.


Curly Wurly is the fourth shampoo I've tried by Lush and I opted for this over Big because of its smell.  I have found myself a little disappointed by the lather of this shampoo considering I used a generous amount.  Nonetheless, I'm rather thankful I bought this shampoo opposed to Big as I found Curly Wurly's desiccated coconut pieces a challenge enough rather than pieces of sea salt.  The coconut pieces were tangled in my hair and I spent more time brushing my hair to get them out.  I love the fragrance of this shampoo and if the pieces of coconut are necessary then dismiss my criticism.  But if the product could survive without, I'd be much, much happier.  I do recommend Curly Wurly shampoo as it is a really beautiful hair care product that stands out from the crowd.  With its incredibly sweet and emotion-tied fragrance this was a winner to start with.  But after using it, it's fragrance lingered in my hair naturally and I even had compliments from people.  My hair didn't feel as soft as I pre-thought it would without a conditioner, but it certainly felt nourished and not in need of moisture from a conditioner.  My hair was easier to brush out after using this compared to shampoo bars, and it also had a lot of bounce and lightness to it that it usually doesn't have.  I wouldn't say it adds volume to your hair but it definitely succeeds in lifting it discreetly to bounce about and also revives my childhood curls slightly.  Curly Wurly adds a look of health to hair and my hair certainly felt better using it.  



Thanks for reading!


Instagram: @lushvoyage
Facebook: LushVoyage 


Ingredients: 





  • Ammonium, Laureth Sulphate,
  • Desiccated Coconut
  • ,
  • Cetearyl Alcohol,
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Water (Aqua),
  • Fresh Organic Lemon Juice
  • ,
  • Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate,
  • Perfume
  • Linseed Infusion,
  • Fresh Papaya
  • ,
  • Lauryl Betaine,
  • Fresh Organic Free Range Eggs,
  • Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter,
  • Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
  • ,
  • Shea Butter,
  • Organic Jojoba Oil,
  • Avocado Butter
  • ,
  • Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute,
  • Vetivert Oil
  • ,
  • Benzoin Resinoid
  • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
  • Alkanet Extract,
  • Lanolin
  • Cetrimonium Bromide
  • *Coumarin
  •  






    No comments:

    Post a Comment