Thursday 2 April 2015

Sonic Death Monkey review: "The hype is real"

Sonic Death Monkey (£11.95/250g) is a cult classic by Lush and when the Lush Kitchen made it a couple of weeks ago, Lushies went mad.  It's a product loads rave about or simply talk about and was surely a sell out product - which it was FYI!  I've been eager to try this shower gel since missing out on it almost a year ago when the Kitchen just started up.  Naturally, when the Kitchen announced this on their weekly menu, I jumped for it and got two bottles.

Mysterious in appearance and a mind-boggling fragrance, Sonic Death Monkey is a delight.  Just like Hot Toddy this is like a layered cake and maybe more so.  From the bottle the first thing I smell is the citrusy notes of Tangerine Oil and Sweet Orange Oil.  And both of these are rounded off by the addition of Fresh Lime Juice too.  It is lovely and refreshing but becomes so bewitching when the chocolate fragrance shines through.  Together they create a really unique smell and you're either going to love or hate it.  And I love it!  I very faintly smell the thread of coffee in the bottle too - I smell a depth to the sweet and citrus notes presented by the addition of the coffee.

In the shower this shower gel is a totally different story.  The most prominent smell in the shower, for me, was the ground coffee.  I genuinely felt as though I was showering with a cup of coffee.  And somewhere in between the chocolate mixed with the coffee to create a beautiful cocktail.  It's sweet and sour - the chocolate makes a delicious sweet smell that makes you swoon whilst coffee centres you and brings you back from cloud nine.  And in all of that goodness there are citrus products that are nowhere to be detected.  Maybe slightly but not much.

The benefits of Sonic Death Monkey provide an uplifting fragrance through the tangerine oil and sweet orange oil, both of which tone the skin too.  You should step into your shower with a grey cloud over your head but step out feeling on top of world.  Or at least your mood.  The best part of SDM though is the black horse of the product - hemp oil.  Hemp Oil is known to be a medicinal oil used in traditional Chinese medicine and is thought to help conditions like varicose veins.  It is also believed to be a natural pain reliever and anti-inflammatory which we are all in need of from time to time.  So, albeit there are incredible oils that present good moods and delicious smelling ingredients - the best thing about Sonic Death Monkey, in my opinion, is this little hidden product within.



Attractive by name, attractive by reputation and attractive at first glance.  The colour of Sonic Death Monkey is peculiar enough to spark interest.  As you can see! The milky top hat to the shower gel adds a good quality to the overall opinion of the shower gel.  Because as much as we may not like to admit it, packaging and presentation are very, very important. It makes you more curious and drives your want to test it out.

I wouldn't say it's very skin conditioning or softening but rather refreshing and cleansing.  The likes of Snow Fairy shower gel is a good example of making skin soft from the Carrageenan Extract.  Whereas with this, the outcome wasn't really like that.    It gives a really clean feeling which can be a must have in the morning.  This will definitely be one of my top used summer shower gels.  That doesn't mean it isn't suitable for winter or the harsher months - granted I do prefer hydrating gels during these months though.  The squeaky clean feeling this gives you will make the clammy and hot air during summer more durable. 

Sonic Death Monkey is one of the best shower gels I've purchased from the Lush Kitchen.  I didn't expect to love it like I do but I do and I think others will too.  I am of the opinion that this shower gel is more in the aromatherapy bracket than skin benefiting but do remember this does have its merit.  I find this a really comforting fragrance and go as far to say its actually my "comforter" fragrance opposed to the real thing.  As I've also got Heavenly Bodies and do not take such comfort from it as I do Sonic Death Monkey, I believe my attachment to SDM is largely based on the blend of chocolate and coffee.  These two smells coming together as one is a magical experience for your nose.  Hogwarts has nothing on this!  I do recommend Sonic Death Monkey for its uplifting citrus oils and juice, it's comforting chocolate and awakening coffee fragrance.  It truly is the best shower gel I've bought from the kitchen and will buy more when needed and where possible.  It was the most surprising shower gel I've come across too and admittedly wouldn't have given it the time of day if it wasn't for the hype Lushies gave this product.  But do believe it! The hype is to be believed! The hype is real!


                             












Thanks for reading!

Instagram: @lushvoyage
Facebook: LushVoyage

No comments:

Post a Comment